Monday, January 30, 2012

How do I adjust a metal wood plane?

I have an old metal wood plane that has recently been used and worked. Now that I have to plane a door....I can't seem to adjust it to cut. I guess I just have to fiddle with it. Any ideas?How do I adjust a metal wood plane?Most metal bodied wood planes have a wheel near the rear handle (under the blade) that controls the depth of cut. There may also be a "lateral lever" that controls left and right so it is even depth across the mouth (where the blade comes out.)



If you are hogging off wood, you can adjust by eye. If you are doing fine work, take a small piece of scrap and with the plane upside down, run it over the sole and across the blade. You will be able to hear and feel when it is adjusted evenly.How do I adjust a metal wood plane?What exactly are you trying to do and what particular problem are you having? What kind of plane do you have (Stanley #4 smoother, etc)? What kind of door are you working on (solid wood, hollow core, etc)? If, for example, you're trying to plane the top or bottom of a solid wood 6-panel door, the parts near the edge are end grain. Things that help plane end grain are a sharp iron, tight plane mouth, higher angle iron, and a small shaving. You're pretty much stuck with the angle you have, and your plane may not have an adjustable mouth, so make sure the iron is very sharp and that you're shaving off a small amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment