Friday, January 27, 2012

How safe is it to store a laptop under the plane?

I am taking a trip in about a month and a half but I have yet to decide if I want to take my laptop. I usually take it on as a carry on but I was wondering how safe it would be to store under the plane. It would be in my suitcase with my clothes.



Anyone have experience with this?



Good idea? Bad idea?How safe is it to store a laptop under the plane?Bad idea. Bad bad idea.



A few years ago I was on vacation from Florida and I flew home. I packed my great grandmother's 14K diamond and gold with peridot encrusted earrings. Beautiful, one of the last mementos I have of her. So me, so naive, packed them in my suitcase and flew home. I got home at midnight so I figured i'd unpack in the morning. The following morning I woke up, my suitcase was a jumbled mess and completely disorganized on the inside. I opened the jewelery box and the earrings were gone. My mother assumed it was a lost cause, so we never called the airline or airports or anything. But a few months later, Delta employees (the airline I flew) were caught stealing jewelery, electronics, and anything of value in checked luggage. There's no doubt in my mind they stole the earrings. So the moral of the story is: put the laptop in your carry-onHow safe is it to store a laptop under the plane?
It would be alright if you had some protection for it...i guess clothes would be fun but bubbles would be perfect...i suggest taking it onboard on the off chance that your check in goes missingHow safe is it to store a laptop under the plane?It is safe to check your laptop in your checked luggage. But as I ask passengers, always carry your laptops, any electronics, medication, and keys with you in case your bag gets re-routed (missing temporarily). That's all part of thinking ahead. As far as someone taping into your bag, that is typically irrelevant. However you decide to travel, buy TSA approved security locks and you will be fine, and feel at ease as well.



It's not too pleasant to check your bag with your laptop and your bag lands 600 miles away from you...keep it with youHow safe is it to store a laptop under the plane?
Never a good idea to pack valuables in your checked luggageHow safe is it to store a laptop under the plane?g'day The Cheshire,



Thank you for your question.



I took my laptop to Sydney and back recently. I had a special carry bag and protection and it is still working fine. I would take precautions such as bubblewrap to ensure there aren't problems during the trip.



Regards
Very bad idea! Always take something like that with you in your carry-on luggage! That way you are responsible for it and you'll handle it with care. The employees loading the plane don't know what's in your suitcase and they get baggage loaded at a pretty rapid pace, even if it's in the middle cushioned by clothes there's still a very big chance it could get broke!How safe is it to store a laptop under the plane?
I believe if you bring a laptop, that you must take it with you as a carry on.
As about half of the answers have suggested thusfar, it's not a good idea to pack a laptop (or most other items of value, such as cash, jewelry, or electronics) in checked luggage. Not only is the risk of damage increased (due to often careless handling by employees who often throw bags as a means of conveyance), but there is also an increased risk of theft of these items from checked bags.



The conditions of carriage for most airlines, which is the contract that specifies the passenger's rights when an airline ticket is purchased, specifically exempts the airline from paying any compensation to passengers due to loss, theft, or damage from checked baggage of these kinds of items. I always tell people who ask about checking valuables such as this to be prepared to never see it again if they choose to do it, and accept the fact that if they lose it, they won't be compensated, because that's usually how the rules go.How safe is it to store a laptop under the plane?
This idea is so bad, there is no words in the English language to tell you how bad it is.



95% of all laptops that have been stolen at airports, are stolen from luggage. The rest are snatch and grabs in the terminal when the owner isn't looking.



All airlines have it in writing, that they are not responsible for any valuables you pack in your check through luggage. So if you do pack your laptop, and it's stolen, you're screwed with no legal recourse.



Putting TSA locks on your bags mean nothing. Any bag can be cut open, and no way to prove who did what.
  • kbb used car value
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment